- The “Open Factory” is a special program for only two days a year!
- Join a factory tour and enjoy mixing in with craftsman!
- There is an experience that you can only have here! Manufacturing workshops both parents and children can enjoy.
- Let’s make your own, unique item with craftsmen!
- SUMIFA Information Center
The “Open Factory” is a special program for only two days a year!
As its name suggests, “Open Factory” is a program that opens the door to all visitors.
You can visit participating factories on this Open Factory program and look around at your own pace.
This program is a self-guided factory tour, and it will stimulate your interest because you can talk with craftsmen there and receive technical explanation. There are 21 factories that will participate this year such as a printing factory with a history more than 100 years, and a factory that manufactures very sharp scissors used in even the medical industry. You can also see the secret to making soap by pot boiling method. It’s a great opportunity to physically experience the skills of the master craftsman! Locations and times for visitors are determined at each factory, so please visit your favorites after checking participating factories on this Open Factory program at: SUMIFA official website (Japanese text only).
Join a factory tour and enjoy mixing in with craftsman!
If you are not comfortable touring the factories by yourself, why not join a factory ‘package’ tour? You can choose one factory tour that takes you on a tour of 13 different factories such as the “SUMIFA girls manufacturing tour”, which will visit three factories with shopping available. The “Cutting-edge factory tour” exhibits cutting-edge activities planned by students. The experienced tour-guide will show you the main attractions at each factory. A reservation is required and the tour costs vary, so see the details on the official website! http://www.sumifa.jp/index.html (Japanese text only)
There is an experience that you can only have here! Manufacturing workshops both parents and children can enjoy.
The free manufacturing workshops that both parents and children can enjoy, will be held on November 26. There are 5 kinds of workshops. You can make a wallet using waste materials, and a space alien lunch box using balloons.
A reservation is required for these workshops.
The manufacturing workshop
- Time & Date： Saturday, November 26, 11:00am-5:00pm
- Venue： Tobacco & Salt Museum（1-16-3 Yokokawa, Sumida Ward , Tokyo）
- Participation fee：Free of charge
- *Please sign up on the following URL.：http://tabashio2016.peatix.com/view(Japanese text only)
Let’s make your own, unique item with craftsmen!
There are 9 workshops planned on November 26 and 27 for SUMIFA.
After you complete your work, you can bring it home.
There are various workshops where you can make a small lion key ring made of knitted cloth, an accessory made of colorful glass, a tote bag, and an original notebook. Make your own, unique product!
Some workshops require a reservation and some do not. If you have a workshop that you are interested in, please check its availability and participation fee. There is also a limit on the number of participants, so please make your reservation on the official website (Japanese text only) as early as possible.
A downtown manufacturing conference will also be held. The theme of this conference is, ‘The Sumida Ward and Taiwan’, both linked together though manufacturing.
The downtown manufacturing conference(to be held in Japanese)
- Date & Time： Saturday, November 26, 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Venue：Space 634(The 5th floor of Tokyo Soramachi)
In addition, the new products which were jointly developed by companies in Sumida Ward and a Taiwanese designer will be displayed at The Sumida district brand general exhibition.
Various products that are certified as “Sumida Modern”, a local brand representing the Sumida Ward, will be introduced.
Please check the event information periodically, because detailed information will be regularly updated on the official website, Facebook, and Twitter!
The Sumida district brand general exhibition
- Date & Time： Saturday, November 26, 2016 /12:00pm-5:00pm
Sunday, November 27, 2016 / 10:00am-5:00pm
- Venue：Space 634 (The 5th floor of Tokyo Soramachi)
- *Admission free
The articles of SUMIFA staff and students from the Waseda University School of Commerce interviewing the companies that participated in SUMIFA is published on the official SUMIFA website(Japanese text only).
SUMIFA Information Center
- Opening hours： 10:00am-5:00pm /Saturday, November 26 and Sunday, November 27, 2016
- Address：The 5th floor of Tokyo Soramachi, 1-1-2 Oshiage, Sumida Ward, Tokyo
- Getting there：http://www.tokyo-solamachi.jp/english/access/
Oshiage station on Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line/ Oshiage station on Toei Asakusa Line/ Tokyo Skytree station on Tobu Skytree Line
- Official Website：http://www.sumifa.jp/(Japanese text only)
- Facebook： https://www.facebook.com/sumifa.jp/
- Twitter： https://twitter.com/sumifajp
(Executive Committee of SUMIFA ＜Spokesperson: Ms.Masaki＞)
If you want to read the detailed information in Japanese, see the official SUMIFA website below.
the official SUMIFA website(Japanese text only).