- Tokyo Taito-ward・Sumida River Fireworks Festival on Sat, July 28th
- Niigata Prefecture Nagaoka City・Nagaoka Fireworks Festival on Thu & Fri, August 2nd~ 3rd
- Yamagata Prefecture Tsuruoka City・Akagawa Fireworks Festival Sat, August 18th
- Hyogo Prefecture Kobe City：Minato kobe Kaijou fireworks festival on Sat, August 4th
- Fukuoka Prefecture Kurume City: Chikugo River Fireworks Festival on Sun, August 5th
- Fukui Prefecture Tsuruga City: Torou Nagashi Fireworks Festival on Thu, August 16th
Tokyo Taito-ward・Sumida River Fireworks Festival on Sat, July 28th
Technically this fireworks festival is in the end of July, but it’s one of the most famous so it had to be in the list ! The Ryogoku fireworks festival started in 1733 and is the oldest fireworks festival in Japan. The festival has two venues. The first venue will have a fireworks competition and the second venue will launch about 22,000 fireworks! Every year about 950, 000 people attend this popular festival. One of the best places to go to get a good view is the famous landmark, Sky Tree.
Come and enjoy the vibrant fireworks in the night sky!
- Date and Time：July 28th 2018（Saturday）
※If the festival is cancelled due to bad weather, it will be held on Sunday July 29th and cancelled completely if both days have bad weather.
- Place：Sumida River
・First venue：Sakura Bridge downstream～kototoi bridge upstream
・Second venue：komagata bridge downstream～umaya bridge upstream
- Access：15min. walk from subway Asakusa Station（first venue), 5 min. walk from subway kuramae station（second venue）
- Number of fireworks：total of 22, 000 fireworks
- Web：Sumida River Fireworks Festival
Please check this article!
Get ready for the Sumida River Fireworks Festival!
Niigata Prefecture Nagaoka City・Nagaoka Fireworks Festival on Thu & Fri, August 2nd~ 3rd
The Nagaoka fireworks festival is launched with prayers, peace and rememberance.
Although it is a large fireworks display that seems to all be about glamour, the Nagaoka Festival originated from the “Nagaoka Revival Festival” held in memorial of the people who died in the Nagaoka air raid on August 1, 1954 and the reconstruction of Nagaoka. Therefore, the opening day of the big fireworks display is fixed on August 2nd and 3rd every year. About two thousand fireworks will color the night sky in two days, over the longest river in Japan called Shinano River! Do not miss this magnificent fireworks festival!
- Date and time：Thursday and Friday August 2nd~ 3rd 2018
- Place：：Niigata Prefecture, Nagaoka city, Chousei Bridge downstream, Shinano River
- Access：30min. walk from JR Nagaoka station
- Number of fireworks：20, 000 in 2 days
- Web：Nagaoka Fireworks Festival
Yamagata Prefecture Tsuruoka City・Akagawa Fireworks Festival Sat, August 18th
This is the nationwide design fireworks competition where top fireworks designers compete! The Akagawa fireworks festival is rated as one of the best fireworks festivals throughout the country!
- Date and time：Saturday August 18th, 2018
6:45pm～opening、7:15pm～launching starts、9:00pm ends
※will continue in light rain but will be cancelled if severe weather
- Place：Yamagata Prefecture, Tsuruoka city, Akagawa riverside
- Access：3omin. Walk from JR Tsuruoka station
- Web：Akagawa Fireworks Festival(Japanese text only)
Hyogo Prefecture Kobe City：Minato kobe Kaijou fireworks festival on Sat, August 4th
This fireworks festival has been established as Minato Kobe’s summer tradition. The beautiful night of Kobe city in the background is perfect for fireworks! It is said to be one of the most romantic views in western Japan. You should enjoy this beautiful sight with your special someone!
- Date and Time：Saturday, August 4th, 2018
※event will be cancelled in light of severe weather
- Place：Kobe harbor front (minato)
- Access：20~30min. walk from「Kobe station」・「Motomachi station」・「Sannomiya station」
- Number of fireworks：15,000
- Web：Minato kobe Kaijou fireworks festival(Japanese text only)
Fukuoka Prefecture Kurume City: Chikugo River Fireworks Festival on Sun, August 5th
The largest fireworks festival in western Japan that launches about 18, 000 fireworks with an audience of 40-450 thousand people a year!
- Date and time：Sunday, August 5th, 2018
- Place：Komorino, Sasayama, Tosu, Nagatoishi, Kyoumachi, Miyaki (upstream, total of 6 venues)
- Access：10min. walk from JR Kagoshima line Kurume station
- Number of fireworks：18,000
- Web: Kurume Matsuri (Japanese Only)
Fukui Prefecture Tsuruga City: Torou Nagashi Fireworks Festival on Thu, August 16th
Recognized as one of the most beautiful places in Japan, the red, blue, and yellow scenic spot of [Kehi no Matsubara] will launch 13,000 fireworks. The beautiful colors will reflect in the vast sea, creating a memorable scene.
- Date and Time：Thursday, August 16th, 2018
6:30pm ~ Torou Nagashi, 7:30pm ~ Fireworks Festival
※Will be cancelled due to severe weather
- Place： Kehi no Matsubara
- Access：40min. walk from JR Hokuriku line Tsuruga Station
- Number of fireworks：13,000
- Paid seats：Available. Sold as a set-plan with business hotels. For details, go to the link below.
- Web：Tsuruga tourism association
Make this summer memorable with the colorful night sky of Japan’s fireworks! Which one will you attend?
※changes to the schedule may happen.